How Can I Boost VW Gas Mileage?
VW Jetta a Fuel-Efficient Option
The best way to boost gas mileage is to buy a car with good fuel economy, and Speedcraft Volkswagen in Wakefield has numerous options.
The Volkswagen Jetta is the most fuel-efficient model VW offers. The 2017 VW Jetta, with manual 5-speed transmission, maxes out at 40 mpg highway, and earns a combined 33 mpg rating, according to fueleconomy.gov, the federal government source for fuel economy information. Another fuel-efficient choice is the VW Golf, with a combined 29 miles per gallon combined and 36 on the highway.
Drivers looking to gain even better gas mileage, however, can take advantage of a few tricks to keep a few more dollars in their wallets.
It’s easier to bump up gas mileage if you drive mostly highway miles. The stop-and-start nature of city driving is harder on your engine and therefore uses more gas.
Search Speedcraft VW Inventory
Where to start:
- Drive the speed limit. Going from 65 to 75 mph can cost drivers 5 mpg because of aerodynamic drag – it simply takes more fuel to power the vehicle through the air.
- Drive moderately. Hard braking and quick acceleration use more gas, again because the engine has to work harder. If you control your acceleration and keep it steady, you’ll boost your gas mileage.
- Drive without extra stuff. If you need to carry bikes or cargo on your roof, then go for it, but don’t drive around with gear that adds to the aerodynamic drag and the work your engine must do to overcome it.
- Drive with a warm engine. If you can combine several short trips into one, so the engine stays warm, it’s one way to add a few mpgs. Engines run most efficiently when warm.
- Drive with tires properly inflated. Under-inflated tires do lead to a modest loss of mpg, but that’s not the main reason to keep an eye on tire pressure. More important, handling and braking are compromised, and tires wear faster and hotter.
- Drive with cruise control. Setting your cruise control on the highway will pump up your gas mileage, get you to your location faster, and possibly prevent you from getting speeding tickets.
Schedule a Test Drive
Of course, another option is to buy a VW e-Golf, since the 2016 model received a 126 city/105 highway MPGe rating.